“Giving kids clothes and food is one thing but it is much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important, and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people.” - Dolores Huerta

Monday, September 15, 2014

DECLARATION OF LEARNING INDEPENDENCE

"What do you want to do for the rest of your life?"


As I asked my friend Yesenia this very question, I wondered what do I want to do for the rest of my life?!

You see, I "know" (may change, truly doubt it will, really hope it doesn't, pretty sure this is what I want to be for the rest of my life) I want to be a nurse, but that's only one thing I know I will accomplish. I want to do so much with my life, I want to work with children, I want to live in Mexico for a year, and I want to document my Mexican culture/heritage/tradition, I want to learn a third language, I want to climb mountains, I want to accomplish a marathon, and go skydiving, and be a librarian, I want to have kids, I want to work with animals, I want to help people, I want to live on a farm, I want to own a crazy amount of adopted animals, I want to learn how to dance salsa, and take a Zumba class, I want to play soccer, and I want to be a crazy fanatic on the bleachers, and ultimately (like any sane person) I just want to be happy.

And at this point through reading this post you are probably wondering, "What does this have to do with independent learning?!?!" Well, all the things I mentioned include some form of learning, with all of them you have to master one skill or another, and it is all optional. I guess I am a true believer in the "You never stop learning," kind of thinking. Reason being that their is always something more you can learn, something more you can do and achieve, we shouldn't ever really stop learning, and we never really do, we just sort of stop noticing it. Even when you're an old widowed, abandoned wo/man, you're going to have to learn how to cope with their loss, and you're going to have to learn how to be happy without their physical presence. (This post took a depressing :( turn.) Anyways, we learn all the time, yes, that was the point of this post!

Ultimately, I declare that as long as I live, I will continue to learn new things. I mean, you learn something new everyday, right? :)

Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life. ~Henry L. Doherty

I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma. ~Eartha Kitt


1 comment:

  1. I like how you implemented all the stuff you wanted to do! The journey in progress to achieving all the things you said is what is going to make you happy the most. And I agree that "You never stop learning" and believe that it will always happen. The last quote too was pretty awesome, I laughed when I read it! :D

    ReplyDelete