“Giving kids clothes and food is one thing but it is much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important, and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people.” - Dolores Huerta

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Spring Reading

Only now have I divulged into the world of Twilight. I had attempted to keep away from the series because of the over-hype and fervor it created back in 2005 when the series first came out, and then the fan fiction based on it only made me recoil even further. But yesterday I began reading it. Let me explain though. I only came upon these books because a teacher handed them to me and said "You can have them." I'm not one to turn down books so even seeing it was Twilight, I gladly took them off her hands. I must also be honest in saying I waited until I finished a book I actually wanted to read, and until the boredom was unbearable to begin to read them. But as I began to read, and as I quickly forgot the actors who had played Bell and Edward, and as I forgot the movie entirely, I was actually able to enjoy the story. 

I have finished the novel, all 498 pages. I must admit that these books are neither badly written, nor do they have a terrible story line. In one day I managed to get through half the book rather quickly, I was entrapped, engulfed by the scenes that played out in my mind. After reading the first novel I don't find it to be as terrible as I thought, it is actually a lot better than I expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment