“Giving kids clothes and food is one thing but it is much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important, and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people.” - Dolores Huerta

Friday, March 20, 2015

SEEKING MENTOR

My expert mentor would have to teach me how to approach people, how to be welcoming, how to make people feel comfortable, and ultimately how to get people to open up. I would also probably need help with the interrogation portion of my masterpiece, such as staying on topic, jumping from topic to topic or change of topic, etc. I would also need a mentor that is straight up and tells me when I am wrong or right, that lets me know when I need to work harder, and that pushes me when I do not push myself. My mentor would also have to teach me how to keep a schedule that works around other people's schedules, yet still get my work completed on time.

Questions to choose a mentor:
  1. What is your personal experience with projects like this?
  2. What is your interest in these projects?
  3. Have you completed the entire process by yourself?
  4. Did you have a mentor? How prepared do you think you are to be a mentor?
  5. What would you describe your "people-skills" as?
  6. Would you describe yourself as "authentic, empathetic, creative and honest?"
  7. To what capability do you think you can aid me?
  8. In what way(s) do you plan on mentoring me?

Questions to ask a mentor:
  1. How must one approach a stranger that one knows nothing about?
  2. What sort of questions would make people think and give a genuine response?
  3. What does one do if the student responds negatively or disagreeably?
  4. What do I do if the student is not taking me or my project seriously? (This is an inclusive project so I don't want to exclude anyone for being rude/childish.)
  5. Should all the questions be the same for all people? Should questions be different based on the person? Or would different questions throughout make it more interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment