“Giving kids clothes and food is one thing but it is much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important, and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people.” - Dolores Huerta

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Masterpiece - Change of Plans

Dr. Preston may not know this, YET, but I did plan on changing my masterpiece one last time. I didn't feel my last project was realistic, or that it would in any way keep going if I were to leave it, so I panicked and gave up on it. I now feel that I have no time to start that last project so let's just leave it in the past. My new masterpiece idea may still be somewhat book related in it's final form. The idea is to document a small part of every senior, to write down a small portion of their story, to actually get to know who I am graduating with. This entire idea came about when I was walking to class with my friend, Brandi Anderson. I always ask her the randomest questions, as I do with many people, which is why I did NOT believe when Preston said that on average people only ask 5 questions a day or something like that. But anyway, that day I commented on how we pass so many people daily in the school hallways, and how I don't know half the people on campus, and how they could be facing so many difficulties or moments of grandeur and we wouldn't even know it! Crazy, right?! So I asked her if she knew most of the kids we were graduating with, the answer was no, not very well. But Brandi, being the ridiculously awesome person she is said, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could meet every senior?" *Or something along those lines, my memory tends to betray me. But that is how the idea came about, now it is just up to me to make it a reality.

Some steps Brandi & Yesi helped me come up with in the past few days: 
  1. Get a list of all the students in the Class of 2015 
  2. Think of some good & thoughtful questions
  3. Begin talking to people in my classes
  4. Begin to talk to friends of friends of friends, etc. etc
*Must get at least 5-7 kids per day 
 
Some issues: 
  • If the final format is meant to be a book, how will others see it if they are interested? 
  • Where would I get the money for printing this book? 
  • Should all the stories be posted on a blog instead? Maybe both
 
For the third Literary Analysis assignment I decided to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, as it has a lot to do with traveling the "uncharted territory of high school," which could tie into my masterpiece, and it has also been on my bucket list for awhile. 


1 comment:

  1. Lupe, I absolutely love this Masterpiece topic! I'd love to collaborate and get in on it, if you need help with anything or just want to update me on how it's going PLEASE do! xox

    ReplyDelete