“Giving kids clothes and food is one thing but it is much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important, and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people.” - Dolores Huerta

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sign Language!

I've attempted multiple times to learn sign language and have failed every time! I want to learn because sign language, although not "universal" allows me to tear down yet another barrier. I don't want to learn because it looks good on a resume, or because it will give me any similar advantage, but rather because it will allow me to help others. Most people who don't need sign language don't bother with it, but wouldn't it be great if we could all understand each other without the actual need of our voice! It would give the phrase "Raise your voice." an entirely new meaning. Communication with most would become simpler. And although it would put interpreters out of a job, it would be a wonderful skill, useful to not only people who's voice is cut short, but for us, to actually be able to comprehend these ASLanguagers.
Is anyone up for the challenge of attempting to learn together?? :D

2 comments:

  1. I'm down to learn sign language! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JAYCE! You're the homie! For now I'm learning on YouTube, getting all the basics down, but we should totally practice on and with each other! I'm like 2,000% more excited about this now!

      Delete