“Giving kids clothes and food is one thing but it is much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important, and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people.” - Dolores Huerta

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Great Expectations - Thoughts so far..

100 pages in. Not enough to write my feelings on. But overall I seem to enjoy the plot and actual storyline. I enjoy the character of Pip, he is essentially a child trying to work his way through life, trying to figure out what he wants. It honestly extremely saddened me when I reached around page 100ish where Pip admitted that he was ashamed of being Joe's apprentice, of being part of the working class. Up to this point in the book he seemed to be extremely proud of Joe, even to look up to him and want to be like him, until he took Joe to meet Havisham. Pip's shame sprung from that initial meeting, and it continued whenever he would sing Joe's song, as he had sung it with Havisham and Estella. To some extent, Havisham and Estella's revenge on men seemed to have worked on Pip. Pip's admiration for Estella caused him to be ashamed of where he came from, in a sense that being the revenge. Overall, I do understand what is going on. Sometimes I have to reread, either because something did not make sense or because I seemed to understand incorrectly. Again, so far I am enjoying the story. I see Pip as an average child that makes up stories when something isn't exciting enough, or when things get uncomfortable. Especially with a child like Pip something like that should be expected since he attempts to offer what is expected of him to his sister and Pumblechook.

No comments:

Post a Comment