“Giving kids clothes and food is one thing but it is much more important to teach them that other people besides themselves are important, and that the best thing they can do with their lives is to use them in the service of other people.” - Dolores Huerta

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Hamlet Notes ~ Act III Scene II

  • Hamlet speaking to the players about "his lines" and reminds them to keep it natural and refrain from over-acting or over-gesticulation
  • Hamlet, truly seeing a friend in Horatio, asks him to watch Claudius throughout the play and to see if he witnesses any guilt, after they will compare observations
  • Hamlet continually uses puns with the arrival of the Queen, King, Polonius, Ophelia > "Lady, shall I lie in your lap?"  "No, my lord."  "I mean, my head upon your lap"  "Aye, my lord."  "Do you think I meant country matters?"
  • Hamlet also repeats the idea that his mother is merry when her husband hasn't been gone for so long, only about 2 months have passed
  • "dumb show" > mime play about a loving Queen and King, King murdered, and Queen won over by the villain
  • the real play resembles the situation of old Hamlet and Gertrude, Hamlet asks his mother about the play and she responds with an irrelevant comment, Claudius however asks if their is some offense (there is, obviously) > Hamlet reveals excess information such as the Lucianus poisons the King in the garden while he sleeps, etc. >Claudius refuses to keep watching and decides to leave, taking his entourage with him, only Hamlet and Horatio remain
  • Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Hamlet that the King is very upset, and that Gertrude wishes to speak with him in her closet
  • Rosencrantz is still pushing for answer about Hamlet's well-being, but Hamlet uses the recorder brought by the players to create a metaphor >
"Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of
me! You would play upon me; you would seem to know
my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my
mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to
the top of my compass: and there is much music,
excellent voice, in this little organ; yet cannot
you make it speak. 'Sblood, do you think I am
easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what
instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you
cannot play upon me."

  • Hamlet is now assured of his father's murderer and plans to seeks revenge, even if it includes his mother

No comments:

Post a Comment